Monday, April 11, 2011

Freedom in the Desert

Have you ever seen the movie “Braveheart”? William Wallace, the main character, fights for freedom. It is the one constant push throughout his journey. Oppression heavily placed upon his country by rulers and other countries. But no matter what he encountered, William’s passion grew and even to his last breath he cried for freedom.


Through my journey I knew I needed freedom from the shackles that had clasped their bonds around me. I was assured by God that I was still looked upon with favor but within the recesses of my thoughts I was not free from the past, the hurts and discouragement. I needed to cry out and passionately pursue freedom even if it took my last breath.

Then God simply blew me away. You guessed it! It was time for another verse to commit to memory. This time God gave me:

Forget about the former things; do not dwell on the past.
See I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.
Isaiah 43:18-19

God was giving me the directions on how to be free from this desert I was in.

Forget and do not dwell. He was telling me to omit thinking of and dwelling on the past. Ouch! That was exactly what I had been doing. God wanted me to step away but learn from the journey I had just walked through. I don’t know about you but when I dwell on things too long it hinders me from moving ahead. I needed to let go and let GOD!

What I didn’t expect just yet was the “see I am doing a new thing”. I, at first, thought it was just a new thing in my heart. You know the fresh attitude or the clean slate in my thought processes.

BUT GOD…

God had other things in mind. He really was doing something new in my life. I still have a passion for women and women’s ministry but not being in leadership in the local church I was lost. God helped me to see that had I not traveled down the road and things had not happened the way they had, I probably would have been sitting doing the same thing again and again. He had a different plan for me and wanted me to rely on Him and start stepping out on faith.

Lysa Terkeurst said something once, “I want a faith that requires a little faith.” This was something I so desperately wanted. I knew I needed to have faith for the next adventure God was calling me too.

Cheri Keaggy sings a song with the lyrics, “a faith that has never been tested is growth that is long overdue.”

It was time for growth! God was springing up something within my heart that I knew was only from Him. I was certain that it was from God because it terrified me!

But as I watched God slowly soften my heart and slightly open doors I knew this path was for me to walk down. He is truly making a way in the desert and providing streams in the wasteland.

I am excited and nervous about this fork in the road. I can chose to stay on the path that I am comfortable with or I can step out on the other path and experience something that only God can provide.

I am choosing the unfamiliar path. Some will think I am crazy, others won’t see me doing what He is calling too.  Ha, I don't see me doing what He's calling me to do but I guess that is the growth part.

I want to experience all that God has in store for this Jesus girl!

Cynthia

1 comment:

Ms.Pat said...

Cynthis,
Mrs. Charles E. Cowman's "Streams In The Desert" based on Is.34:18-19has become a precious source of comfort to me in my deepest vallies. In our deserts, where the heart is parched with disappointment, discouragement and pain, His refreshing love streams into our lives and lifts us like a wilted flower to face the SONshine of His love again and again.Our heads and hearts are lifted again and again to experience His faithfulness in coming to us, His dear and precious children. We are so blessed to be daughters of the Most High God!