Thursday, April 14, 2011

Journey or Destination?

I love to travel.

Someone mention road trip and I am trying with everything I’ve got to figure out a way to go.

Recently as my sister and I were talking about a get-away we are taking with our mother, we joked about how our husbands are all about the destination. We on the other hand are just as much about the journey as the destination. I guess we come by in honestly. Our dad is the king of the journey.

Our childhood memories are filled with what we did between points A and B. He was notorious for jumping off the Interstate and getting on the back roads to really experience that area. Oh the things we ventured upon and learned will forever be etched in our minds.

One trip my sons and I were on with my parents is still talked about. We were taking a car trip from Arkansas to Washington D.C. My dad would drive out of the way to visit things like horse farms, log cabins and famous bridges. After many side tours my boys begin to think we were really lost and would never find our final destination. Finally my oldest having so much fun, piped up and said, “Papaw we’ve got all summer to be lost.” Both boys were learning to enjoy the journey. They didn’t have their eyes only fixed on where the trip was suppose to end rather they were experiencing the trip.

This is the same with the journey with God. My heavenly Father is very interested in what lies between points A and B. He is setting me out on a new journey that will have adventures and lessons that will be forever etched in my mind and heart.

As I start out on this pilgrimage, God has provided me with traveling instructions.

Stop at the crossroads and look around.
Ask for the old godly way and walk in it.
Travel it’s path and you will find rest for your soul.
Jeremiah 6:16

I know that as I venture down this new path God has set out for me I will come to crossroads. Each presenting decisions in my route and it is up to me to pick the direction in which to continue. If I seek the godly path and make that course my path I will find rest.

Are you enjoying the journey? Are you more concerned about the destination? I want to encourage you to ask for the godly way and walk in it. You will find rest for your soul!

Enjoying the journey!
Cynthia

No comments: