Thursday, May 14, 2009

Signs of Summer

Yesterday for me was the first sign that summer was almost here.
You see yesterday was the last day of Wednesday morning Ladies Bible Study for the semester. I will miss these ladies. Even though I was the leader, this wonderful group of ladies are mentors to me although they do not realize it. Their insight on the Word of God and life in general will travel with me well into my journey called life.

As we finished up this study, I reflect back on the life of David and the things we learned of his life. The man after God's own heart was on a roller coaster ride just like the rest of us. He lived on the mountain tops with God and in the valley's just like I do. He was not a perfect man and to me that is a relief. David was a sinner just like me and still earned the title of a man after God's own heart. Why? Repentance, Whole Hearted Obedience and Reverence.

In the final week of the study, I learned some things about God, His Grace and His Word that will cause me to ponder for a while. Although it would take me forever to write out all my learning, I want to give you snippets and references for you to seek out. Then if you want come back and share with me if your eyes grew wide with amazement. Please play along...I would love to hear what God shows you.


1. Kay Arthur gave a statement that "God's grace is previous." If you went huh? Don't be discouraged because I did too when I first heard it. As she explained and I looked at scripture, my huh? turned to wow! In Ephesians 1:4, "Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes" God knew even before he created the world he would love us and choose us. That my friend is previous grace. But what does that have to do directly with David's life? Check this out. David was not allowed to build the temple for God because he was a man of war and shed much blood but God said that David's son Solomon was the one that would build the temple. Where's the previousness of grace? I ask you to read 2 Samuel 12 and 1 Chronicles 22. When was David told about the birth of Solomon? When did David commit adultery with Bathsheba?
Did you notice that even before David sinned God knew what would happen? Just as before God ever created the world, he knew Adam and Eve would sin but in His grace He made provision. In the previousness of grace, His love covers the sin.

2. The things tucked in God's Word is so amazing. I simply love putting puzzles together and have fun when pieces of God's Word fit together in my mind and create a big picture for me. Please read 2 Samuel 24:10-25. Then read 2 Chronicles 3:1.
What does the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite and the temple that Solomon built have in common? How does this expand your biblical world view regarding the land in which the Israelites and Muslims fight over today?

These are just a few of the things that are floating through my thoughts as we ended this study. One of my favorite lines at the end of the study was this, "What was David's is yours--appropriate it, walk in it, and abide in it. No matter what you have done, you will be able to go deeper still." That is a promise of hope because God is there calling us to a deeper walk with him. We, too, can become a woman after God's own heart.

Keep searching for more of Him, even during the summer.

Cynthia

No comments: